Illinois Virtual School provides anytime, anyplace online learning for student success!
Visit www.ILVirtual.Org to learn more
IVS is the Illinois State Board of Education’s Statewide Virtual School
The IVS program is administered through the Peoria County Regional Office of Education, a member of the Illinois Association of Regional Superintendents of Schools (IARSS). The Peoria ROE was awarded the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) contract to manage and operate the Illinois Virtual School (IVS) on April 1, 2009.
Since 2001, ISBE’s virtual program (IVHS and now IVS) has provided leadership to accelerate the adoption and use of online learning within Illinois. Working in partnership with over 300+ public and private schools, IVS offers classes to students and professional development programs for educators.
IVS partnes with public, private, and home schools to provide:
- Opportunities for students to take full service courses not offered by their face-to-face school, such as Advanced Placement, foreign languages, and other enrichment opportunities;
- Flexibility in scheduling;
- Credit recovery options for students to graduate on time; and
- Individualized instruction that occurs anytime, anywhere, and any pace through teacher managed courses.
IVS provides schools and students a Completion Certificate that includes a suggested final grade and percent. The local school determines the final grade that is added to the official transcript for the student. Since IVS partners —not competes—with schools, the local school retains their students and is able to offer expanded learning opportunities.
- April 2014 Report to the Legislature
- Understanding and Implementing Online Learning for K-12 Students in Illinois: How to Partner with Illinois Virtual School to Maximize Student Success in Online Programs
Middle and High School Students Served
- IVS serves students from a number of districts, including the very large Chicago Public School District to Elmwood, a small, rural district.
- 3,185 total number of enrollments for 2012-2013 school year (see image below to view enrollments by region)
- 90.5% completion rate
- IVS employs only Illinois certified, highly qualified teachers
- Education Week Article Features IVS Instructor in “Teachers Make the Move to the Virtual World“
Professional Development Opportunities (view full catalog)
- Illinois Reading First online course for grades K-3 educators
- Teaching Online 101 and 102
- Introduction to Online Learning
- Math: Right From the Start!
- Intel Teach Elements Series: Exploring 21st Century Learning Concepts
- Project CHOICES
Ready to Get Started?
New Students – Visit our Getting Started page to learn more about creating an account and beginning your Summer School experience!